Thursday, June 19, 2008

Upgraded to Lotus Connections V2

View Comments

Yesterday, I took upon the task to upgrade the Lotus Connections v1.0.2 PoT (Proof-of-Technology) image to the GA version of Lotus Connections v2. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to do the upgrade. At a high-level, here' s what you need to do:

  1. Run a wizard to update the database schemas ( 5 mins )
  2. Run a wizard to create the new Homepage database (if needed) (7 mins)
  3. Run a wizard to uninstall Lotus Connections v1.0.2 ( 10 mins )
  4. Run a wizard to upgrade WAS to (1 hr )
  5. Run a wizard to install Lotus Connections v2 (20 mins )
  6. Install any appropriate fixes.

That's right, assuming you download all the software first, you can do the upgrade in about 2 hours!!! (though it depends on processor speed, and hard disk speed). There were a couple of snags that I ran to. I don't know if it was because I did something wrong during the upgrade, or my v1.0.2 environment was messed up, but I'm documenting here just in case:

  1. The port numbers weren't set to 80 as before. I had to go into the <WAS_PROFILE_ROOT>\config\cells\<cellName>\LotusConnections-Config\LotusConnections-Config.xml and set the ports there.
  2. I had to re-map the modules to the HTTP server
  3. I had to re-generate the WAS plug-in
  4. I had to re-run the TDI assembly line to update the user's GUID with the correct value from my Domino LDAP.

After fixing those items, I got Lotus Connections v2 up-and-running! And wow...It runs extremely fast!! Of course, more detailed information can be found in the InfoCenter. Can't wait to see what's coming in the next release

blog comments powered by Disqus