All credit here goes to Mitch Cohen for the idea. As I've been updating my demo server this week to record a video on it, it turns out that Mitch asked how to add an attribute to IBM Connections Profiles so that it would be a clickable link to a user's web meeting (whether it's SmartCloud Meetings, VSee, WebEx, etc).
The process for adding a custom attribute to Profiles is documented here, but let me just show you how to do it specifically for web meetings. In the example below, I'm going to focus on SmartCloud Meetings, but if you want to do it for WebEx, for example, it should be very straightforward to modify the configuration that I present below:
- Check out profiles-config.xml
- Open profiles-config.xml with your favorite text editor
- Add the following line under the <profileDataModel> - <profileExtensionAttributes> section:
<simpleAttribute extensionId="meetingId" length="64" />
- Now scroll down to the <profileLayout> - <jobLayout> section (or to the <contactInformation> section depending on where you want to add it) and add the following line:
<extensionAttribute showLabel="false" prependHtml="<a href='http://apps.lotuslive.com/meetings/join?id=" appendHtml="'>Join My Meeting</a><br/>" labelKey="label.contactInformation.extattr.meetingId" editable="true" bundleIdRef="myStrings" extensionIdRef="meetingId" />
- If you want, you can also add it to the businessCard section so that it appears every time a business card is shown.
- Save and close the file
- Check it back in
- Restart Connections
Once you restart the server, you'll see something like this show up for people who have defined their Meeting ID by going into Edit My Profile.
Now if I were to pull up Jasmine's profile, I'll always be a click away to her virtual meeting room. Clicking on the link immediately launches the web meeting and I don't have to do anything else. Very easy!