When I was a Windows user (seems so long ago now), I relied heavily on Google Desktop Search to search across my Sametime chat transcripts, Notes mail, Notes replicated databases, and other documents on my local computer. When I migrated to Mac, I quickly discovered Spotlight, but it couldn't index my Lotus Notes databases .
That all changed today! I discovered in an internal forum that the latest Notes 8.5 build integrates with Spotlight. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open your Notes 8.5 inbox
- Go to Actions -> Desktop Search...
- On the dialog that opens, check the box Enable indexing of local Lotus Notes databases.
- Click OK on the warning that comes up
- Add... or Remove databases as you see fit. For example, I added my archive mail file.
- Set your indexing preferences (I only changed mine to index every 60 minutes)
- Click Apply. Indexing starts...
- Click OK to close the pop-up
In a couple of milliseconds, you'll be able to search your Lotus Notes documents! Simply. Beautiful!