With the release of IBM Connections 4.0, IBM is now updating its many extension points. Today, I wanted to share the news that the new IBM Connections Desktop Plug-Ins are now available for download. The plug-in, of course, remains free and is fully supported by IBM.
The Desktop plugin is a single install which brings IBM Connections into Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Windows Explorer (depending on what you have installed). Here's a list of some of the features you can use:
- Upload local files to IBM Connections from Windows Explorer or from your desktop
- Share uploaded files with people, communities, or folders in IBM Connections
- Work on files locally and publish them to IBM Connections
- View people's contact details and get in touch with them
- Pin, follow, or like IBM Connections files and folders
- View or contribute comments for a file
- Lock a file when you are editing it to prevent file conflicts
- View and restore files from IBM Connections Trash
- Share folders with IBM Connections Communities
One of the things that really stands out is how all of the social features from IBM Connections Files are available directly from Windows Explorer. From Windows Explorer, I can like files, comment on them, share them and more without ever having to open a browser. How cool is that!!??!!
If you haven't seen this plug-in in action, then I recommend that you take a peek at the videos created by my colleague Ron Denham.
First, how it integrates with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel:
Next, how it integrates with Microsoft Outlook:
Finally, how it integrates directly into Windows Explorer to provide access to files whenever you want:
To download the free plug-in, download it from our App Catalog.