Over the weekend, IBM updated the mobile apps for its social collaboration platform IBM Connections. The apps for Android and iOS mark the 4th release this year showing IBM's commitment and understanding of the importance of mobile in social collaboration. IBM Connections customers can download the update free of charge.
These releases round up a big week for IBM in mobile as IBM also released a new version of their instant messaging app for Android tablets.
The IBM Connections app for the iPad has become a powerful tool for me. As a remote worker, it's an essential tool to be productive and effective irrespective of where I am.
You can see the full list of new features and enhancements for the iOS app here. Here's my take of my favorite new features:
- Support for iOS 6
- Support for iPhone 5 (tall screen support)
- Infinite scrolling
- Support for IBM Connections 4.0 activity streams
- Launch third party OpenSocial gadgets
- Attach photos or videos to a status update
- Include geolocation information in a status update
- Offline access to forums you have viewed
- Offline access to Community files and forums you have viewed
- Remotely Wipe Connections app data
- Share profile information using QRCode
- Mobile Links in IBM Connection update emails now open in the app
I've also created a demo of the iPad app to showcase some of the new features:
The Android app for IBM Connections was also updated. To see a demo of the Android app, go here.